Wednesday 12 October 2011

Kale Chips

Can't even BELIEVE that I have found some time to sit down and post a few new recipes. Of course not without a little pinot noir, a candle and some Adele to sing along to. You'd almost think that this was like romantic for me or something. Whatever-I'm just beyond pleased with myself that I'm crossing one more thing of my ever growing 'to do' list. Blogging about cooking brings me joy though. As for everything else on my 'to do' list... please, enjoy the new recipes!

Kale Chips, my new friend when I'm craving to munch on something salty and crunchy in the evenings. Super easy and fast. You can find various ways to season and  prepare Kale chips but this is how I do it:

Ingredients:
2-3 bunches of kale.
1/2 tsp of sea salt
Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Wash and dry your kale. You want to remove the leafy goodness from the thick stem. It needs to end up in potato ship sizes. You can chop it up with a large knife, but I just rip it with my hands. Try it-it's kind of satisfying.

Get out a large cookie sheet and pile your kale pieces on it. Drizzle the olive oil over top and mix with your hands to make sure that it spreads evenly. Less is more with olive oil here. I start with a tiny bit and add more if I think it needs it. Spread the kale out so that the pieces do not overlap. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake in the oven for about 12-17 minutes. You really need to watch it close after 12 minutes because there is a fine line between it being under baked and very burnt. Once all the chips feel crispy to the touch they are done. They should be a little brown on the edges as well. If they seem a bit soggy still, give them a few more minutes.

The first time I made this I thought that I had started a fire. Eeeps! You will see a plume of steam coming from your oven because of the water content in the kale and the olive oil that is evaporating. Don't call the fire department.

No comments:

Post a Comment