Wednesday 23 February 2011

Best Banana Bread

I have spent a few years trying out different banana bread recipes. Most are too fluffy, some turn out too crunchy. I prefer a somewhat heavy, but very moist banana bread. My mom makes some of the best banana bread, but when I make her recipe it just isn't the same as when she makes it. By far, the best banana bread that I have ever come across was from a hut on the side of the road in Maui. I'm pretty sure that I asked the lady there for the recipe but she wouldn't give it.

In any case, I have found a banana bread recipe that I'm confident I will be loyal to for a very long time. There is a surprise ingredient that I would have NEVER thought to toss into a banana bread recipe. A few months ago I had a carton of sour cream that needed a purpose, so I googled 'recipes with sour cream' and came across this.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans.
  3. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I found it here: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/banana-sour-cream-bread/Detail.aspx

I didn't use the 4 7x3 loaf pans, but used two normal loaf pans instead. Works just the same...either way you are getting a ton of banana bread!!  Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment