Saturday 26 February 2011

Poached Eggs Julia Child Style

I'm not the egg's biggest fan by any means. I don't mind them fried, but scrambled is out of the question. I do however, LOVE them poached. There is a recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. If you have seen the movie Julie and Julia, you might remember the scene where Julie tirelessly tries to poach an egg. I  was really intimidated by egg poaching after watching this movie and as such avoided the poached egg for years. I made them tonight though...I must have needed a challenge?!?! I don't know. It wasn't a challenge at all actually. It was really easy and they are deeeelish with some fresh grated parmesan, salt and pepper.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Pour 2 inches of water into a skillet, add 1 Tbsp of vinegar and bring to a simmer

Crack the egg and pour into a saucer or shallow cereal bowl. Bring an edge of the bowl to the surface of the water so that you can just slide the egg into the water. Right away use a wooden spoon to fold  egg whites around and on top of the yolk.

Let the egg simmer on low for 4 minutes. Lift the egg out of the skillet with a ladle.

Julia Child does mention that the eggs should be very fresh. The carton that my eggs came from had been in my fridge for at least a week and a half. It probably gets more difficult to poach an egg as it gets older.

I like to eat them plain with salt and pepper as a post yoga or workout snack. I'm sure that they would be extra nice served on toast...or even better a toasted English muffin!! 

Now that my confidence is up on Julia Child Recipe's I'm thinking about trying out  boeuf bourguignon!

No comments:

Post a Comment